August 20, 2014

Goat Liver Varuval

Goat liver.. A very good source of Iron.. I dont eat that often.. Its not my fav either. One day Mams asked me why I haven't cooked(actually experimented) it at all.. So I thought to give it a try. Its very simple with limited ingredients. But its tasty and very healthy too.


Ingredients:
Goat Liver - 1 kg
Shallots or small onion - 1 cup
Jeera powder - 1 tbsp
Ginger chopped - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 1 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tbsp
Mustard seed - 1 tbsp
Salt
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Oil as needed
Method:
  • Clean the liver well. I immersed it with turmeric powder water for around 5 mins. It turns yellowish, never mind. Rinse it well again and cube it into small pieces.
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and small onions and saute till the onions gets cooked.
  • Add the liver pieces and saute for a min, cover an cook for 2 mins. Then add the jeera powder and pepper powder and allow it cook on slow flame. 
  • I am not sure of the cooking time, I just kept checking every 5 mins. I think it roughly took 25 mins. You dont have to add water, it gets cooked from the juices coming out from the liver pieces.
  • Add salt to taste. For extra spiciness add green chillies. Uncover and cook till all the water drains off. Serve with rasam or sambar rice :) 
    heat oil and mustard seeds
    add the small onions and saute

    add ginger garlic and curry leaves
    add mutton liver pieces

    add jeera and pepper powder and cook well

    Mutton liver varuval is ready



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...