August 15, 2014

Gulab Jamun

I am a big fan of gulab jamun. I crave for it frequently. The first time I made it using pre-mix, it was a total disaster. Nothing wrong with the mix, I didn't know to make it properly. But today, I didn't even have any instant mixes to do it atonce. I found this recipe in my treasure book (book I used before for noting down my fav recipes). I finally made it today. Yey it was so soft and yummy too. So here is the recipe. I have added step by step pic as much as possible.


Ingredients:
Milk powder - 1 cup
Maida/all purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Sooji/Rava - 1 tbsp
Baking powder - a pinch
Milk - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp

For Sugar syrup:
Sugar - 1 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Cardamom - 3 to 4 (powder it with some sugar for fine powder)
Almonds - to garnish

Method:
1. Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Give a quick mix. At the same time, get the sugar syrup ready. I didn't look for any thread consistency. I just waited till the sugar dissolved and simmered for 10 mins.

2.Then add Ghee to the mixture and mix it. It makes it a crumbly mixture. Then add milk little by little to make it like a chapathi dough. It should be soft.

3. Keep it aside for few mins. Then roll them into small balls whatever size you want.
4.Deep fry them in oil. The flame should be low. Don't turn it hard as it might break. Try to get even color.
5.Drain out the excess oil.

6.Drop it immediately into the sugar syrup. The sugar syrup should be warm.
7. Garnish with almond and pistachios. Allow to soak for atleast an hr. I like to refrigerate it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...