August 20, 2014

Oma Podi

When I have Oma Podi, I can't stop munching them. I scanned through the Indian Shops for this one. I was not able to find the one we get in my native :(. So I decided to make my own one. Hurray it was a success. Just follow the quantities list, it will never go wrong.




Ingredients:
Besan Flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1/4cup
Omam - 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
Ghee or Butter - 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Oil for frying
Idiappam press

Method:
  • Dry roast omam/ajwain seeds and then soak it in about 1/4 cup water for atleast 15 mins
  • Take besan flour and rice flour in a bowl, add chilli powder,salt and butter and give a quick mix. It becomes like crumbly texture.
  • Either ground omam to a smooth paste or just strain and get water.
  • Add to the powder mixture little by little and make into idiappam dough like consistency.
  • Heat oil in a pan. It should be enough to immerse and cook the dough.
  • Take small balls in the idiappam maker and start pressing it. I used the idiappam mould. I like it to be thin.
  • Start pressing it over hot oil just 2 layers. Flip to other side and let it cook on both sides. Wait till the shhh sound stops, Remove from oil and drain excess oil. Break into small pieces later. 
  • Make sure that the oil is in medium heat or the inner part wont get cooked. Repeat the same for the rest of the dough.
    dry roast omam/ajwain and soak in water

    take all dry ingredients

    sorry missed the step btw.. press using idiappam maker in hot oil. Flip other side and cook as well

Drain on paper towel

break and store in air tight container


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...